The Hadassah multidisciplinary clinic consists of two university hospitals: a general clinic on Mt. Scopus Hospital and a hospital for highly specialized medical care Ein Karem (Hadassah Ein Kerem). Hadassah University Medical Center is one of the few in the world that has been accredited by JCI and also having membership in the American Hospital Association. The clinic combines medical and surgical care with interdisciplinary approach of the world class level.
Annually, the hospital provides medical and surgical care to about 1.5 million people. Out of these, about 85,000 are receiving inpatient treatment and 75,000 patients on an outpatient basis.
According to statistics, about 500 thousand radiological examinations, 4 thousand IVF procedures, over 30 thousand surgical interventions and more than 400 thousand instrumental researches are conducted here annually.
All operative interventions are conducted on the principle of minimal risks of the European standard set by the European Society of Anesthesiologists. About 4 million tests are carried out each year in laboratories. The hospital admit 40.5 thousand oncological and hematological patients and provide services for 12 thousand babies delivery.
Students of the medical faculty are also trained in the basis of the clinical departments of Hadassah.
Hadassah hospital achieved special results in:
- Oncology (cancer treatment here is considered one of the best in the world);
- Radiotherapy (modern equipment allows physicians to preset the parameters of the program in the course of irradiation in advance.) Healthy tissues are practically not affected during procedure;
- Chemotherapy (advanced chemotherapy drugs are used, most of which have not yet been applied in Europe);
- Cardiology (minimally invasive interventions are performed, thanks to which doctors can eliminate pathology through a single puncture. They are engaged in treatment of congenital heart diseases in young children);
- Neurosurgery (specialists perform high-tech interventions on the structures of the brain and the spinal cord);
- Plastic surgery (doctors can repair even the most serious defects of innate or acquired character).
Advantages of the Hadassah Medical Center in facts:
- The clinic performed the first successful double coronary artery bypass surgery in Israel in 1964. After 3 years, the first successful kidney transplantation operation in Israel. And in 10 years - the first successful bone marrow transplantation (BMT).
- In 1983, the first baby with IVF was born in the country, thanks to the achievements of the clinic in artificial insemination.
- In 1992, the specialists conducted the first successful cardiopulmonary transplant in the country.
- In 2003-2004, for the first time, stem cells were used in the treatment of fractures and bone building, as well as in the treatment of the nervous system using embryonic stem cells.
- The clinic is the first in the world where a computerized operation of hip arthroplasty was performed. Since 2005, the gene therapy of cancer, anemia and genetic diseases has been introduced here. After 2 years, the doctors developed a vaccine against the autoimmune Crohn's disease.
- In the center of Hadassah, the first successful pregnancy was carried out from an ovum that underwent preimplantation genetic diagnosis.
- In 2005, Hadassah Hospital was heavily mentioned in the press in connection with the illness of former Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon, who after the stroke was treated in her neurological and later neurosurgical department.
- About 60% of scientific medical research in Israel is carried out exactly in the Hadassah clinic.