In last two to three decades there has been rapid development in medical tourism industry of India. Every year the number of foreigners coming to the country for treatment increases by 30%. What is the reason? Why do thousands of people prefer treatment in India? Which medical facilities are considered the best? Read about it in this article.
READ IN ARTICLE:
WHY FOREIGNERS PREFER TREATMENT IN INDIA?
Since the beginning of the 90s in India, most medical institutions have become private property. Today, the number of private medical organizations reaches to 80%. Some of them can surely be called the best in the world.
This is proved by prestigious certificates and licenses awarded for high-quality services and compliance with international quality standards. 21 centers in India are accredited by JCI – the gold quality standard in healthcare.
According to the official data, over the past year in India 3 million people received treatment, of which 500 thousand are foreign patients. Most foreigners are coming here from the United States, Great Britain, the European Union, Africa, the CIS region, China, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh.
Data from a survey of the Health Ministry of India on the reasons for choosing a country for treatment:
- 37% of patients chose India because of the lower expenses of treatments;
- 25% – due to the qualifications of physicians, modern equipment in clinics;
- 25% – because of the polite attitude, the responsiveness of the clinic staff to the patients, the high level of service;
- 13% – due to the speed of medical services and the lack of waiting in queues for foreigners.
POPULAR SPECIALTIES OF INDIAN CLINICS AMONG FOREIGN PATIENTS:
- General surgery;
- Heart surgery;
- Artificial insemination;
EXPENSES OF TREATMENT IN INDIAN PRIVATE CLINICS
It is among the fundamental factors influencing the choice of India as destination for cure is the lower cost of medical services. On average, the prices of therapy in India is 30-70% lower as compare to the U.S and Europe.
Coronary bypass surgery in Indian clinics costs about $ 7,000; in the United States, such an operation will cost $ 130,000. Replace the hip joint in India – $ 7,000, in the US – $ 43,000. Standard Check-Up at the clinic in India is from $ 80, with an MRI examination cost – $ 580.
India also has well developed pharmaceutical industry. The country has more than 180 certified factories for the production of medicines. Products are exported to more than 200 countries.
In lower price, the effects of Indian drugs are not inferior to analogues of other global pharmaceutical brands. For example, a 3 month course of treatment for hepatitis C with the American drug Sofosbuvir costs $ 80,000. An Indian counterpart, providing the same therapeutic effect, costs $ 900 per course.
ADVANTAGES OF TREATMENT IN INDIA
- Professionalism and vast experience of doctors in India. Overcrowding and unemployment in the region led to a lot of competition in employment. For one job dozens of specialists compete in the medical facility simultaneously. That is why only the best get a job. Many Indian doctors receive education and practice in advanced educational institutions and hospitals of the U.S and Europe.
- Modern equipment. Private clinics in India posses expensive apparatuses of the latest generation and the needed tools for all types of diagnostics, laboratory tests, therapy, various procedures and operations. Medical equipment of world’s leading brands such as Siemens, Philips, Toshiba and others are popular in the country.
- Private Indian clinics use: laparoscopic, endoscopic equipment, MRI, CT, multifunctional ultrasound equipment, equipment for HIFU-therapy “Gamma-knife”, “Cyber-knife”, robotized installations.
- Quick diagnosis. Presence of a full range of equipment and tools allow diagnostics in Indian clinics in the shortest possible time. For example, in order to be examined for PET-CT in Europe, it is necessary to wait for turn as it takes 10-14 days, in India – a day or two. A standard check-up examination takes 3-4 hours, and the results and transcript of the analyzes are immediately displayed.
- Advanced treatments in India. In India’s medical facilities, several diverse specialists are involved in the therapy process. Decisions on therapeutic methods are made individually for each patient at a consultation, which reduces the chance of making wrong decisions and medical errors. A distinctive feature of cure in India is the combination of Ayurvedic methods (acupuncture, aromatherapy, yoga, etc.) with traditional ones. Most clinics follow US treatment protocols.
- The best ayurvedic practice, of course is in Kerala. Here, on the coast, to the north and south of Trivandrum (as the locals call the state capital Thiruvananthapuram), there are several decent hotels (4-5 stars) specializing in Ayurvedic medicine. The hotels have Ayurvedic doctors, massage therapists, specialists in other areas. After appointment with a doctor, people are assigned the appropriate course of treatment for 10-21 days. A corresponding diet will also be prescribed. Ayurveda in Kerala truly works wonders!
The state itself is amazingly beautiful, there is something to see and where to go. We recommend to visit the southernmost point of India – the city of Kanyakumari – the holy place for the Indians. Here there are three seas, as the Indians say.
ADVANCED CLINICS OF INDIA
Gleneagles Global Hospital in Chennai. This clinic has many quality certificates, including the NABH certificate, which guarantees the safety of medical services for patients. Global Hospital is an Asian leader in organ transplants and other areas. Over two million people are treated here annually, and organ transplants are performed for children and adults using minimally invasive methods. Hospital is equipped with latest Generation Devices: 3 Tesla Silent MRI, TrueBeam STx, devices for the correction of pain syndrome etc.
BLK Super Specialty Hospital. A multidisciplinary private clinic, accredited by the National Council on Accreditation of Hospitals and Healthcare Providers of India NABH, is known for using innovative methods of treating cancer, organ transplants and a unique approach to the treatment of cardiovascular diseases. Clinic has a department for bone marrow transplantation, oncology department, center for liver and digestive diseases, orthopedics and joint reconstruction. For patients a comprehensive personalized approach to diagnosis and therapy is guaranteed.
Manipal Hospital in Bangalore and Goa. Advanced medical institutions that are part of the largest Indian medical network, Manipal, are certified by the National Council for Accreditation of Hospitals and Medical Service Providers of India (NABH), ISO 9001 and JCI. Clinic is providing medical assistance in all fields of medicine. Doctors have access to IBM Watson information databases that help them find the best personalized treatment options for patients. In addition, here patient can get a unique treatment of joints and infectious diseases.
Apollo Medical Group. It occupies a leading position among Asian medical institutions in providing high-quality medical services and high-level services. The clinic focuses on improving the quality of diagnostics and treatment, equipped with the best equipment. Doctors work with techniques such as the Da Vinci Robot system, Novalis Tx, CyberKnife. Apollo clinics are actively involved in research and development and the introduction of new methods of treatment.
Fortis Clinical Network. The leading Indian network of multidisciplinary medical institutions that has international accreditation JCI and quality mark – NABH. High quality technical equipment, professionalism of physicians and medical staff give reason to call the Fortis clinics the best in India and Asia. Outstanding achievements – laparoscopic surgery for simultaneous transplantation of a kidney and heart in 2.5 hours without blood transfusion; the use of intraoperative MRI equipment during an operation to remove breast cancer helps to save the organ in 60-70% of cases; the use of hemoport allows not to puncture the blood vessels of patients.
PECULIARITIES TO PAY ATTENTION TO WHEN CHOOSING INDIA FOR TREATMENT
Cure in India, besides the mass of advantages, has some peculiarities. When choosing a clinic, you need to make sure that you have quality certificates and licenses, since many medical institutions do not have them.
India is interested in the development of quality medicine and monitors the performance of their health workers. The country has a strict system of fines and penalties for medical errors. However, there is practically no protection of the rights of foreign patients. Therefore, foreigners are recommended to have a medical insurance in order to protect themselves in an event of problems during the treatment process.
Infrastructure in India is far from European and US standards. In addition, it is worth remembering the differences in everyday lifestyle and some cultural and religious traditions. Some aspects, such as hygiene, can be unpleasant for foreign tourists. However, this in no way refers to advanced certified clinics, where purity and sterility are of paramount importance.