Hospital Severance is the first Western-style clinic in Korea and a leading multidisciplinary medical institution globally.
Clinic Severance is located in Seoul, South Korea. Today it is a center of advanced medical technologies, innovations and a hub of experienced recognized specialists.
The history of the clinic is more than 130 years old. South Korea is a new word in modern medicine.
Even the respected American edition of ‘The New York Times’ writes that in Korean hospitals, excellent doctors are working who also act as visiting professors in the best American medical institutions.
Hospital Severance is a bright representative of what Korean medicine is capable of today. The medical facility has already gone far beyond East Asia and is actively contributing to the development of medicine globally.
For 130 years of the hospital, various studies have been carried out and special training programs have been initiated. All this formed the basis for the development of innovative and most importantly effective medical solutions.
Today, Severance is not just a hospital, but an entire health care system at Yonsei University.And this means that the clinic has an excellent base for further pioneering research in the field of medicine and will continue to use them for the benefit of patients.
Moreover, for many years work has been carried out in the direction of improving the patient's stay in the hospital and in general whole medical service. So, in 2005 the modern building of the hospital Severance with a capacity of 1000 beds was built. Also, the clinic purchased the newest, best in Asia medical equipment of the new generation and software Ubiquitous (it gives the opportunity to obtain medical information from any device at any time).
Highly advanced technologies in the Severance clinic include:
- modern radiation therapy;
- intraoperative MRI;
- robotic operations with the help of the Da Vinci Robot and other devices that allowed the hospital to reach the top level.
Why is Severance so popular among patients all over the world
Hospital Severance daily receives 40 000 people. Among the patients of the clinic there are many leading politicians and leaders of Korea, which is why Severance is also called the "Hospital of Presidents". Former President Kim Dae-Jung, during his lifetime, trusted his health only in this clinic. In addition, many foreign officials, such as former US Secretary of State Henry Kissinger, are being treated in the medical facility.
In 2007, Severance Hospital was the first in Korea to be accredited by the Joint Commission International, whose certificate is a dream of many best clinics in the world. This accreditation once again confirmed the compliance with the world standards not only with medical equipment, methods of treatment, professionalism of doctors but also the very process of the patient's stay in the clinic and its service. In 2013, the clinic was re-accredited with an average score of 98 in the 1294 sectors and 16 medical categories. In addition, in 2010 Severance received JCI certification for the Primary Stroke Therapy Program.
The Severance health system consists of five specialty medical centers, a diagnostic center, a practice center for surgeons "Da Vinci Robot", a dental clinic and the Gangnam Severance hospital.
Top specialties in Severance hospital:
- heart and vascular diseases;
- eye diseases and ENT;
Clinic Severance in facts and figures:
- annually 3 million patients visits including 1 million patients hospitalized;
- more than 2,500 hospitalized patients per day, 11,000 patients visit each day;
- number of patients in the following specialties: 16 000 - surgery, 15 000 - ophthalmology and ENT, 9 600 - orthopedics, 8 000 - urology, 5 900 - neurosurgery, 4 200 - gynecology, 4 100 - plastic surgery, 3 700 - cardiovascular diseases;
- approximately 8,200 are the total number of employees of whom 2,050 are doctors and 2,530 are middle level medical personnel;
- 800 performed endocrine surgeries, 600 urologic surgeries and 140 operations for stomach cancer for the year.
Clinic Severance is a leader and a pioneer in many issues:
- severance as a modern Western-style clinic was founded 130 years ago and became the first in Korea;
- a year later the scientific and educational base for the clinic was established in the form of the University of Yonsei, so for the first time an academic medical institution appeared in Korea;
- 60 years have passed since the first surgical intervention in the heart was performed in this hospital;
- unique studies of cancer diseases in the hospital have been carried out for more than 45 years;
- for 24 years the clinic has a declaration of protection of the patient's rights;
- the lungs were transplanted for the first time in the clinic 21 years ago;
- in 1998, the hospital made a breakthrough in the therapy of liver cancer, creating an innovative drug Holmium-166;
- for the past 12 years, robotic surgery has been available in Severance, the Da Vinci Robot was used here for the first time in Korea, and this happened much earlier than in other top clinics of the world;
- for the past 10 years, the clinic has received international medical accreditation and is constantly confirming it.
Awards of Hospital Severance for achievements in medicine:
- 1st place in the issue of global governance from JMAC (Japan Association for Management Consulting);
- three-time prize-winner of the nomination "High service evaluation by patients";
- winner in the nomination "Patient safety and quality of medical service" from the Association for Management of Medical Institutions in Asia
- leader of the rating "The level of health of Korean patients" from the Association of Korea on Standardization (KS-WCI).
More than 50 000 foreign patients a year choose Severance for the diagnosis and treatment. The largest number of patients come to the clinic from the US, Russia and China.