Medical services in foreign clinics are more expensive than in the many developing countries. Many patients face the need to find funds for treatment abroad, when their own country cannot guarantee quality care. Most often, there is need of bigger amounts for treatment of serious pathologies (oncology, oncohematology, complex neurosurgical interventions, rehabilitation, etc.).
MediGlobus will tell you what are the main ways of raising funds in situations when patient cannot afford treatment. In this article we will also look at the pros and cons of each method.
There are fairly large number of opportunities for fundraising, but none of them is simple, each one requires effort and time.
Fundraising in social networks is one of the most common and simple tool. This is the first point where patients seek advice, publishing about their difficult situation and financial assistance.
In any social network, you can create a patient support group, describe the patient’s situation in it, and regularly update information about the course of fundraising and the patient’s condition.
Despite the fact that in social networks there are sufficiently large number of specialized assistance groups for fundraising, it is recommended to create your own group and subsequently repost on the appropriate pages.
In the group it is useful to place photographs of the patient, the course of examination or treatment, the process of raising funds and all this information should be constantly updated.
The more people you invite to the group and the more reposts in different groups, the more opportunities to collect the necessary amount there in short term. To collect money, it is necessary to show the medical documents confirming the diagnosis, as well as bills from medical institutions in the patient’s name, indicating the necessary amount of money.
It is imperative that you take precautions – mark all documents and photos that are laid out in social networks with a translucent sign in order to avoid Internet fraud, and excessive vigilance will not interfere with pseudo-volunteers and other interested parties.
We recommend that someone from your friends or relatives help you in managing the group, as you will not always have time to update information in the group. Do not hesitate to ask friends to share your posts, it is very important to get the maximum coverage.
- Fast coverage among social network users and the possibility of wide publicity.
- Ease of use.
- Ability to personally control the collection of funds.
- Ability to attract friends and acquaintances to the fundraising process.
- Long term duration in collection if less activity shown in the social network.
- Large number of scammers.
CHARITABLE AUCTIONS AND OTHER ACTIVITIES
One of the options in support of treatment fees is to hold charity auctions during which specific lots can be sold for the purpose of charity. For publicity of bidding, you can use social networks.
Without a doubt, do not hesitate to knock on different venues for events (theaters, exhibitions). You can get support in unexpected places. Attach to the organization of the event acquaintances and friends, so that they can help you and take the most of the tasks themselves, allowing you to focus on treatment.
- Chance to collect funds in the shortest possible time.
- Chance of attracting famous creative people.
- Implementation of a charity auction directly depends on the reach of the audience and the demand for the lot being sold.
In the developed countries there are large number of charitable foundations and Non-governmental organizations – large and small, multidisciplinary and highly specialized. NGOs are the second place where patients can take help in fundraising.
The mechanics of aid from charitable foundations is to provide fees and coverage of the patient’s situation. In their work, the funds use completely different tools to organize patient care:
- Small charitable organizations use their own web page, social networks, volunteers to draw attention to the patient’s situation.
- Large charity organizations can allocate their own funds received in the form of donations from private entrepreneurs or companies.
To apply NGO for help, the patient will need to provide up-to-date medical documentation indicating the patient’s diagnosis and the hospital bill confirming the readiness of the medical center to accept the patient for treatment and the cost of medical services.
As a rule, small charitable organizations collect funds to the patient’s current account (or his trusted person) or accumulate funds from themselves, transferring later to the patient’s account.
Large organizations pay for medical services directly to the medical center.
In view of the specific nature of the work of large charitable foundations, the range of medical centers in which the foundation guarantees treatment may be limited.
- Readily help in fees or full payment of treatment.
- Possibility of obtaining medical support during therapy in their own country.
- Accelerate the process of payment.
- It is not always possible to choose a clinic for treatment yourself.
- High percentage of rejections from large foundations.
- Difficulty of financing the treatment of adult patients.
- Difficulties in communication clinic-patient.
MINISTRY OF HEALTH CARE
In some situations, you can ask for financial assistance in treatment within the framework of legislation that provides the treatment of patients abroad. Such state programs exist in almost all countries and are funded under the annual budget allocated by the Ministry of Health.
As a rule, the financing program covers only those procedures that are not conducted on the territory of your own country. In 99% of cases we are talking about organ or biological tissue transplants (transplantology) such as heart transplants, lung or heart-lung transplants, bone marrow transplants.
The chances of providing funds to citizens is determined by a special commission under the Ministry, which carefully examines the submitted documents.
To pass the commission, patient must provide the number of medical documents, including an invitation from the medical center, a medical program and an invoice. There is also need of permission from doctor under ministry who can mention that the patient can not be treated at home.
Payment of treatment in the case of a positive decision of the commission is carried out directly at the clinic’s account, and the patient receives a letter of guarantee with which he can travel for treatment.
- State provide a chance to receive full payment for treatment abroad.
- Contact with proven clinics and doctors.
- Long waiting period for a response.
- Queue of patients.
- Limited annual budget within the state program.
- Low percentage of positive solutions for adult patients.
- Need for a personal visit to the ministry.
The listed methods have positive and negative sides, but each of them can play a major role in the further fate of the patient.
MediGlobus specialists can advise each patient in detail, help you contact the clinic and collect the necessary documents.