Samsung is one of the most technologically advanced medical centers in the world. Opened in 1994, this clinic became the implementation of a unique "patient-oriented" concept.
For 20 years of practice the whole world came to know about the Samsung medical center.
For 14 times it received the first place in the rating of the National Customer Satisfaction Index (NCSI), 16 times the leader in the value of the Korean Customer Satisfaction Index (KCSI), 12 times in a row held an honorable first place in the Quality of Service Index (KS-SQI), and 12 times it was chosen as the main medical brand of Korea.
Today, Samsung Medical center is not just a multi-disciplinary clinic, but a hub of future medicine and a global research center. Technologies and equipment in the Samsung clinic have surpassed what is considered to be innovation in the best medical institutions of the world.
In addition, in 2012 the clinic proclaimed the concept of "Vision 2020: happiness through health innovation" and is making progress to become a leading hospital in the world.
The infrastructure of Samsung clinic
The medical center of Samsung consists of the main building, extension and the Oncology Clinic. In additionthe Proton Center was put into operation in 2014, the construction of the “Ilvon” building and the Outpatient Treatment Center, which is also due to be completed in 2019.
The main building of the clinic is 200 thousand square meters, 20 elevated floors and 5 underground floors. The structure of the clinic includes 40 departments, 10 specialized centers, 120 specialized clinics and 1,306 beds. The Samsung Oncology Center is located in a 19-storey building (11 above ground and 8 underground), an area of more than 100 thousand ㎡. There are 655 beds in the cancer center.
The Samsung Medical Center is a fully automated medical facility of a new generation that has completely switched to paperless work. The clinic has the world's largest PACS program (file transfer and file archiving system), as well as EMR software (electronic medical records).
Cooperation of Samsung Hospital with the leading institutions of the world
The undisputed advantage of the Samsung clinic is its cooperation and active exchange of experience with the best medical institutions of the world. For example, with the Mayo Clinic in Rochester (USA), joint image processing centers for the diagnosis of cardiovascular diseases were established. In one of these centers for the first time in Asia, a 32-channel spiral MRI was purchased.
In addition to the Mayo Clinic, Samsung cooperates with such medical giants as Johns Hopkins Medical Center (USA), Anderson Cancer Center (USA), Zedars Sinai Hospital (USA) and medical centers of Argentina, China, Japan, Egypt and Vietnam.
Medical Center Samsung is a world leader in following areas of medicine:
- cardiovascular surgery.
Also, the clinic demonstrates the highest survival rates of premature babies birth in the world (above 50% for strongly premature babies). Department of Pediatrics and Infant Care of the Hospital Samsung managed to save a premature baby, who was delivered on the 25th week of pregnancy with a weight of only 380 grams.
Samsung Medical center in figures:
- 2 027 211 outpatients;
- 76,496 patients in critical condition, approximately 210 per day;
- approximately 1400 doctors;
- about 2,600 nurses;
- 200 outstanding researchers;
- 3,700 pharmacists and medical engineers;
- 85 208 stationary patients, about 230 patients on daily basis;
- 1,979 beds;
- 45,800 operations performed;
- 1135 scientific publications;
- 1305 research projects in the plans;
- 2457 ongoing research.
Achievements of the Samsung clinic for 2016 & early 2017:
- For the first time in Asia, a successful implantation of LVAD of the third generation (devices of mechanical circulation support) for elderly patients was carried out.
- For the first time, a genetic disorder causing amyotrophy in the limbs and facial paralysis has been identified.
- The world's first clinical types of advanced gastric cancer have been identified.
- Samsung's pharmacy center was recognized for the global effectiveness of the use of chemotherapeutic drugs.
- An improved version of the CHOOStent stent - GI CHOO.
- Methods have been developed for personalized genomic cancer therapy.
- 1000th procedure of ECMO (extended artificial circulation and oxygen saturation with blood) was performed.
- 3000th microvascular decompression was performed in case of hemifacial spasm and trigeminal neuralgia.
- The International Training Center was opened by the Gamma Knife Center.
- For the first time in the world, mutational patterns have been identified in the brain tumor, which promotes the development of genomic therapy.
- The 2000th kidney transplant was performed.
- Methods have been developed for personalized treatment and control of genome-based cancer development using Tgen.
- For the first time in the world, atypical Singleton-Merten syndrome was detected.
- For the first time an operation was performed on liver transplantation from a live donor.
- Due to the conducted radiofrequency ablation, 96.1% of patients with kidney cancer who had been contraindicated in the operation did not show a relapse within 2 years.
- Successful treatment of the "open arterial duct" in micro-premature babies with conservative methods, without the use of drug and surgical treatment.
- 1000th endoscopic operation of the brain tumor was performed.
- The 200th heart transplant was performed (20% of heart transplants in Korea are performed by the Samsung center).
- Due to the detection of the target gene of the malignant brain tumor, variants of personalized treatment were found due to the specific analysis of the evolution of gene mutations of the tumor.
- It is determined that thoracoscopic arrhythmia surgery increases the probability of arrhythmia treatment success to 92%.