The Shaare Zedek Medical Center is a private non-profit organization operating thanks to charitable donations and not receiving funding from the state budget.
Practical and scientific research activities of the clinic occur through funds from patients care and voluntary contributions from different people around the world. Conduction of research, improving equipment and increasing the range of services are also through the expenses of volunteers.
Today the clinic is accredited by JCI. This certificate is available at just 200 institutions around the world.
The diversified clinical center of Shaare Zedek is distinguished by the work of the emergency department and resuscitation, which was fully manifested during the attacks in Jerusalem.
Shaare Zedek is positioned as a research center for the Hebrew University in Jerusalem. Collaboration with the medical faculty stimulates scientific research, promotes the creation of new and improved existing methods of training future doctors, as well as improving the treatment quality of patients.
Advantages of the Shaare Zedek medical center in facts:
- The hospital is considered to be one of the oldest in Israel (opened in 1902). The name is literally translated from Hebrew as "The Gate of Justice" - in a way this is the motto of the clinic - helping every person regardless of nationality, race or religious affiliation.
- The Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology is the largest in Israel, (potentially in the world) by the number of newborns. In 2014 there were born more than 22 thousand children. In early 2014, the clinic introduced a new neonatal unit with 70 beds for infants.
- A couple who have difficulty conceiving a child are provided with leading infertility treatments created in collaboration with the Institute of Medical Genetics. These methods involve the latest technologies of fetal diagnostics and pregnancy testing is carried out with the help of a gene chip.
- Shaare Zedek consists of 30 specialized departments. Each year the hospital receives more than 250 thousand people, of which a third falls on hospitalization. The staff consists of 350 doctors, 800 mid-career medical professionals, 200 paramedics and over 500 administrative staff. 700 volunteers, some of whom are girls who undergo alternative military service, come daily to help in the care of the patients of the clinic.
- The main building of the medical complex is a 10-storey. The three lower floors occupied the most necessary services, the emergency medicine department, the operating rooms, the medical supply, sterilization department and the pharmacy. These services are underground, in order to ensure non-stop work to save lives, even during disasters, terrorist attacks and hostilities.
- Shaare Zedek is declared a regional center for the treatment of victims of chemical and biological weapons.